December 25, 2019


 
Gabriel “Man of God”
Every year, I enjoy and appreciate the story of Jesus’ birth as we all do. The story for me is something very special and each year, I imagine myself as one of the characters of the story so that I can absorb more of the meaning, like a sponge soaking up water. This year is no exception as I consider the angel Gabriel. I am not an angel by any means but I always wonder . . . what if? Perhaps it would be like this.

Lord, it is such a joy and blessing for me to serve you and I lift your name on high. Why only today, I was thinking back over the times that you have sent me to deliver a message to someone on earth. You sent me to the prophet Daniel to interpret a dream. I was a bit frightening to Daniel though because I didn’t appear as an angel but as a person. Daniel in his fright bowed down to he ground.

Then you sent me to Zachariah, the father of John the Baptist with this message: Luke 1:19-22 NIV)

The Birth of John the Baptist Foretold

In the time of Herod king of Judea there was a priest named Zechariah, who belonged to the priestly division of Abijah; his wife Elizabeth was also a descendant of Aaron. Both of them were righteous in the sight of God, observing all the Lord’s commands and decrees blamelessly. But they were childless because Elizabeth was not able to conceive, and they were both very old . . . .

11 Then an angel of the Lord appeared to him, standing at the right side of the altar of incense. 12 When Zechariah saw him, he was startled and was gripped with fear. 13 But the angel said to him: “Do not be afraid, Zechariah; your prayer has been heard. Your wife Elizabeth will bear you a son, and you are to call him John. 14 He will be a joy and delight to you, and many will rejoice because of his birth, 15 for he will be great in the sight of the Lord. He is never to take wine or other fermented drink, and he will be filled with the Holy Spirit even before he is born. 16 He will bring back many of the people of Israel to the Lord their God. 17 And he will go on before the Lord, in the spirit and power of Elijah, to turn the hearts of the parents to their children and the disobedient to the wisdom of the righteous—to make ready a people prepared for the Lord.”

18 Zechariah asked the angel, “How can I be sure of this? I am an old man and my wife is well along in years.”

19 The angel said to him, “I am Gabriel. I stand in the presence of God, and I have been sent to speak to you and to tell you this good news. 20 And now you will be silent and not able to speak until the day this happens, because you did not believe my words, which will come true at their appointed time.”

How old am I you might ask? The earthlings mark time by days, weeks, months and years, but we stand outside the realm of time, don’t we? We stand in the very edifice of time itself and watch the earth spin . . . and the universe orbit in perfect harmony. So when someone asks how old I am . . .  I smile and gently move my wings as if to say . . . eons my friend . . . eons. Today though, you ask me to do the most awesome thing I have ever done in all my history. You have asked me to announce to Mary that she will give birth to a child who will be the savior of the world. But first, I must tell Joseph, her fiancé that it is OK to marry her, because he has some serious doubts and wants to do the honorable thing. So I will be on my way Lord, to speak to Joseph. . . . The encounter with Joseph went well Lord, and now I am ready to share the good news with Mary. I feel awesome responsibility in delivering this message Lord.

Mary, I am Gabriel, and I have a message for you from God. Perhaps you ought to be seated as I share this message with you.
. . . “Do not be afraid, Mary, for eyou have found favor with God. 31 And behold, fyou will conceive in your womb and bear a son, and gyou shall call his name Jesus. 32 He will be great and will be called the Son of hthe Most High. And the Lord God iwill give to him the throne of jhis father David, 33 and he will reign over the house of Jacob kforever, and of his kingdom there will be no end.”
34 And Mary said to me, “How will this be, since I am a virgin?”4
35 . . .  l“The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of hthe Most High will overshadow you; therefore the child to be born5 will be called mholy—nthe Son of God. 36 And behold, your relative Elizabeth in her old age has also conceived a son, and this is the sixth month with her owho was called barren. 37 For nothing will be impossible with God.”
God bless you Mary and He will always be with you. (Luke 1:5-38 NIV Paraphrased)

Things went well with Mary Lord and I think she understands the honor you have given her. It has been an honor to share your messages to the earthlings. I will wait for further instructions . . . .
 
Merry Christmas Everyone!

Ron & Sheron, Drivers behind the windshield

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment