December 25, 2018


Church in the Windshield

Christmas Day 2018

 

We light all of the candles on this Christmas Day; the white candle represents Jesus Christ. The Hope candle, the peace candle, the joy candle and the love candle are all a part of the Spirit of God.
For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. Isaiah 9:6 (NIV)
What a day! Caesar Augustus issued a decree that a census should be taken of the entire Roman Empire.  Let me tell you there was a lot of controversy over that one, especially the Jewish who were not too fond of Rome anyway. The prescribed time came and people began pouring into Bethlehem and Jerusalem. People have been coming through Bethlehem for several days now. I would complain myself but I realized that this event could really help my business and other merchants realized that it could help them as well.
About mid-morning people began arriving in Bethlehem at least those that didn’t have far to travel. As the day progressed group after group made their way into Bethlehem. In those days people mostly walked; some rode donkeys and other means of travel. No matter the mode of travel, people usually stayed in groups. These groups varied in size from five to twenty with the smaller groups being the ones that could walk a bit faster. People traveled in groups not only to have someone to talk to on the journey, but there was less chance of highway robbers preying upon them. The slower groups were a bit larger and would arrive later in the day and some of them even toward evening. It was toward evening and my inn was already full of paying customers; I was pleased to say the least. Other merchants were pleased as well and I could hear them in the market place, chanting “Fresh bread . . . fresh fish . . . tents repaired  . . . new clothing” Some of the merchants lit torches so they could collect their profits late into the night.  There was a couple that came to the inn that night, he called himself Joseph and introduced his wife as Mary. Neither of them talked a lot but I noticed that she was obviously pregnant. Mary seemed totally exhausted and I knew the journey had been a difficult one for her.  “Please sir, do you have a place for us to stay,” Joseph asked? I responded, “I wish I did but as you can see, the inn is full tonight.” “You will need to find
another place.” They turned to leave and I saw the disappointment on their faces.  “Wait a minute,” I said, “There is a stable out back that might give you some shelter for the night, if you don’t mind sleeping with the animals.” The couple agreed and I showed them the stable.  They made themselves at home in the stable as best they could. I went back to the front of the inn and spent some time getting ready for the next day. I put the couple out of my thoughts at least for the time being and decided to get some rest myself. 

It must have been a little past midnight when I heard shepherds close to the inn talking about seeing some angels. I wasn’t able to get all of the conversation, only bits and pieces but I thought I heard them say something about a child being born.  Hopefully, it was not that couple that I sent to the stable in the late evening and I had not heard any singing nor had I seen any angels. It could not have been that couple, but what if it was? 
Quietly, I made my way to the stable and noticed the animals were calm and peaceful which was usually not the case when the inn was full. Tonight there was something different, even though the brisk night air gave me chill. There was certain warmth that seemed to emanate from the stable. A baby boy was lying in the manger (King Size Bed) snuggled down in the warmth of a woolen blanket that was swaddled around him. “What is the name of the boy?” I asked. Joseph quickly responded with, “His name is Jesus . . . which means God is with us.” Suddenly, I felt embarrassed that I could not have offered better place for this Jesus person. But I offered the best that I had at the time . . . I did . . . I did . . . I tell you that I did . . . if only they would have made reservations.
Reflections: Jesus was born in a stable away from the crowds of people that could have had coughs, sniffles, flu and other human diseases of the day.  It was a quiet private place where Mary and Joseph could enjoy the peacefulness of the Holy Spirit. The stable was a place where there was some heat from the animals and it was a place where shepherds could come, kneel and give God thanks without disturbing other people.  How often is it in our busy lives we miss seeing the angels or hearing them sing or even pronounce His name?  Perhaps then, we should not be too hard on the innkeeper who did the best he could and gave the best he had. Jesus was born in the best place he could be under the circumstances and . . . God is still with us.
Ron & Sheron

                                Merry Christmas Everyone!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment